Sunday, April 30, 2017

hello kitty dia de los muertos sugar skull cookies


Along with the Dia de los Muertos sugar skull cookies that I made for my friend Sara's food truck in my last post, I also made Hello Kitty ones as well!

Again I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe (in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!), and rolled the dough out to 1/8 inch thick before cutting out my shapes (using this cookie cutter) and baking them at 350F for 10-12 minutes  (until golden brown). 


Once cooled, I used stiff royal icing (recipe also in my book!) that I tinted pink, and piped Hello Kitty's bow on each cookie. Then I used stiff white icing to outline the head, before filling both the bow and head in with runny icing.


I let the icing dry for several hours, and then used black icing to pipe the eyes and whiskers.


Then I piped the finishing details. I started with blue dots around the eyes, then gradually added flowers and dots and swirls in pink, orange, green, and blue. Finally, I finished by adding a yellow nose and a final pink outline around the bow.



Hello Kitty sugar skulls!




I thought they turned out rather cute! And it was so much fun to pipe the designs!



Happy Dia de los Muertos!


No comments:

Post a Comment