Sunday, March 5, 2017

minion cake


My son Matthew turned nine last September, and he really wanted to have a few of his friends over for an afternoon of video games and movies. So that's what we did! And we had balloons, a make-your-own-pizza station for dinner, and of course birthday cake!

This year I decided to make him a minion cake, since he loves minions and is always imitating them! I wanted to fill it with fruit cocktail and whipped cream, which is kind of a nostalgic cake flavor from my childhood. Since I wanted the fruit cocktail to stand out, I decided to pair it with a light vanilla chiffon cake, so I baked up three 8-inch cake layers. While they were cooling, I drained my fruit cocktail, to ensure I wouldn't end up with a soggy cake!


When I was ready to fill the cake, I used an offset spatula to spread freshly whipped cream on each layer, topped with the drained fruit cocktail. Then I covered it with more whipped cream, and then the next cake layer.




For the frosting, I tinted my freshly whipped cream with yellow gel-based food coloring, and covered the top and sides of the cake. Then I smoothed it out with an offset spatula.



For the minion face, I used a medium round tip to pipe gray frosting circles for the goggles...


.. and then used a smaller round tip to pipe brown frosting eyeballs, and then a star tip and white frosting to fill in the whites of the eyes.


Then I used black frosting and a small round tip to pipe the black pupils of the eyes, the hair, and the smile, as well as the outline for the goggle straps (which I then filled in with a star tip afterwards).


And then the minion cake was done!



I thought he turned out pretty cute!


The boys had a great time at the party, and Matthew loved having his closest friends over!



Hope you had a Happy Birthday, my Matthew! I can't believe this will be your last year in the single digits! :(


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you made it look so simple and it looks delicious as well. Will worth giving try, thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Awesome cake!! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so cute! I enjoyed reading your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you post the recipe that you used for the cake? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you post the recipe that you used for the yellow frosting? Thanks

    ReplyDelete