Friday, March 29, 2013

purple cat baby shower cake with petal sides


Back in December, my good friend Diana threw a baby shower for her sister Leona, and she had asked me to make the cake and cookie favors for the cat-themed event.  Diana and her husband, owners and creators of Bumble Ink, had designed the cat logo for the shower invitations, so we decided I would use the same cat logo for the cake!


The baby shower colors were to be purple and green, but after a few sketches Diana and I decided that the cake would look better with just purple and white.


Diana's sister had requested anything chocolate, so I decided to make a moist chocolate cake, filled with decadent chocolate mousse.  I split each cake layer in half horizontally, giving me four layers of cake, and three layers of mousse (with a cream cheese buttercream border so that the mousse wouldn't ooze out of the cake!).


Then I did a quick crumb coat with cream cheese buttercream, and let it set in the fridge before proceeding with the petal sides.


Once the crumb coat was set, I piped my petal sides, starting with the darkest purple on the bottom, the medium purple in the middle, and white on the top.  To see more of my petal cakes, see here, here, and here (you can also see the original tutorial over at Hungry Housewife).



After piping a congratulations message on the top, I piped the outline of the cat logo, and then filled it in with a Wilton star tip.


I finished it off with a Wilton tip #2 for the details on the cat's face, and then I was done!


At the baby shower, I loved that Diana's daughter spent some time just sitting and staring at the cake ...


... until finally she could finally have a bite!


Congratulations Leona!  We can't wait to meet your new little one!


21 comments:

  1. Your cakes are so simple and so adorable. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have the best step-by-steps and planning pics. love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Do you add Crisco Shortening to your buttercream? I tried the butter and powdered sugar recipe but the shape doesn't hold. I also tried adding shortening, it was good but the taste and the texture is so greasy (half butter half shortening) any advice? many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - i tend to avoid using shortening... i prefer using all butter, or a combo of butter and cream cheese. i also like using swiss meringue buttercream, it's a little more work to make, but holds it's shape pretty well.

      Delete
  4. what a wonderful blog you have! may i know how you draw the pic on cake? do u just pipe by free hand or there is a way to trasfer the image outline on cake surface? thanks in advance for ur advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks @Angel! i like to use a toothpick to "draw" the shape outline on the frosting, and then i pipe over the outline.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply Michele. You are really good in your drawing. I can't do that.

      Delete
  5. Hi, if its not much to ask, can you share your cream cheese buttercream recipe and your mouse recipe? Yours looks good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Balot - sure, just email me and i will send it to you!

      Delete
    2. @Balot - Did you receive the recipes. If so, would you mind sending them to me? Many thanks in advance. marielos_campos@yahoo.com

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful cake! ...you have a talent. :)

    Jackie @ Minerva Collection Handbags&Fashion Jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I emailed you asking for the recipes of the buttercream and chocolate mousse you used for this cake. I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm just excited to make a cake of my own soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a beautiful cake! The cookies are awesome too. The picture of the little girl sitting in front of the cake is the cutest darn thing I have ever seen! She's the star of this post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The foods are really healthy and easy to make. I’m gonna try cooking this at home. This makes me excited! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I love your blog! regards from Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello I have just discovered this amazing website. I love everything you do. You are just an amazing and artistic person. I have a question do you have your cream cheese buttercream recipe posted? My email fairy.princess_11@yahoo.com thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Anonymous - sure, i just sent you an email! enjoy!

      Delete
  12. Hi I want to know what technique you used on doing the cake with the cat outline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @lynet1978 - i use a toothpick or a skewer to "draw" the design on the top of the frosted cake, and then i use a piping bag fitted with a small round tip to pipe the outline. then i fill it in with a piping bag fitted with a star tip. good luck! :)

      Delete