Thursday, March 7, 2013

blackberry oreo ice cream, and the newest addition to our family!


As some of you may already know, three weeks ago I gave birth to my third baby!  This explains why I've been M.I.A, in case you were wondering!  But in the weeks right before I gave birth, I became really obsessed with Oreo cookies.  Especially in ice cream.  Maybe it was because I was very pregnant!  Or maybe it's just because I love Oreo cookies.  In any case, I made lots and lots of coffee oreo ice cream, as well as mint oreo ice cream.  (Those are my two current favorites!)



But after making multiple batches of each, I wanted to try something new.  So I started flipping through my copy of Sweet Cream and Sugar ConesBi-Rite Creamery's ice cream book (which was given to me by my good friend - thanks, Diana!).  And that's when a recipe for blackberry ice cream caught my eye.  Now, I've made Blackberry Frozen Yogurt before, but for some reason I have yet to make it in ice cream form.  So I decided to try it out - with a twist.  I've heard of blackberry chip ice cream before, basically blackberry ice cream with chocolate chips or chunks in it, so why not try it with Oreo cookies instead?


I started by cooking my blackberries with sugar on the stove for about 10 minutes, until the berries broke apart and the resulting fruity syrup had reduced.  Then I pureed it and strained it, and then made my ice cream base (the usual egg yolks, sugar, heavy cream, and milk, cooked on the stove to form a custard).  Once that was ready, I combined the custard base with the pureed blackberries, and let it cool in the fridge overnight.

The next day, I was ready to churn my ice cream!  I added my chopped Oreo cookies during the last 5 minutes of churning, and then I let it set in the freezer overnight.  And then it was time to taste it!  The blackberry ice cream was smooth, creamy, and tart.  At first I wasn't sure if the Oreo cookies went well with the blackberry.  And then I decided, yes, Oreo cookies go well with everything!  Or maybe that was just my pregnancy taste buds talking!


And now for a few pictures of the newest addition to our family, baby Micah!  He joins his siblings Matthew and Melodie, and together they are now referred to as The Three Musketeers :)










17 comments:

  1. Micah is such a cute name and he is absolutely adorable! Melodie seems to like him a lot. :) I've only used my ice cream maker a couple times, but after seeing this post, I want to go try to make some ice cream with oreos in it! :D

    http://ahemitsemme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Emily - thank you! can't wait to see your oreo ice cream!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new arrival. Looking forward to see more sweet posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on having Micah. I love his name and the meaning of it. The ice cream recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, SO SWEET!!!! He's beautiful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! Such a wonderful bundle of joy! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the arrival of your little one, he's very cute :D

    I'm currently pregnant with my first and very excited about becoming a mum - this recipe is great, I have gained an exceptional sweet tooth as this pregnancy has progressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!!!!

    The ice cream looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. icecreams are heavenly!
    but a baby is wonderful! i'll try to do it at home :P
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks good for children. It's cute and it looks so sweet! Thank you so much for sharing this more powers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo pour votre talent de pâtissière! Et votre très belle famille!
    Marie-Alice
    http://lavieau33.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete