Tuesday, June 5, 2012

mint thinmint ice cream


This year I bought around 12 boxes of Girl Scout cookies, from various family and friends.  Most of them were samoas and thinmints, as those are my favorites, and even though I was able to devour a few boxes by myself, there were still plenty left over.  That's when I decided I would make ice cream with them.


My friend Diana's husband and their daughter love mint chip ice cream, so when one weekend we decided to get together and play, I made them mint thinmint ice cream.  I turned to my copy of David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop" for a mint ice cream recipe, although at the time, I didn't have any fresh mint on hand, so I used peppermint extract instead (plus a few drops of green coloring).

After churning the ice cream for about 25 minutes, I added a cup of chopped thinmint cookies.  Then I let it it churn for a few minutes after, to incorporate the cookie bits, and then poured the soft ice cream into a container and let it sit in the freezer overnight.


The next day we all met for lunch, and after a big meal of delicious burgers and fries, we had our ice cream!  Perfect and refreshing for a big burger meal!


A week later I made another batch of the same ice cream, this time using fresh mint from our garden (turns out we had mint after all!)  This time I heated milk and cream on the stove, and then soaked the fresh mint in it for about an hour (after the heat was turned off).


When I went back to check on it, the milk and cream mixture had turned a beautiful shade of green!  Then the rest of the steps were the same with the churning and the addition of chopped thinmint cookies at the end.


When I tasted the fresh mint version, it tasted really fresh and clean.  But it wasn't the same "mint" flavor as you'd expect from mint ice cream.  This was more of a "mojito" mint flavor, minus the lime.  But it was still good.  Next time I'll look for fresh peppermint leaves, and try it with that instead!


6 comments:

  1. OMG! I love mint ice cream and on top of that girl scout thin mints! Oh Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you're so funny! thanks for the comment and for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. YUUUUUMMMMMM....pinning this for next girl scout cookie season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mrs. iHB @ iheartbudgets - awesome! :) thanks for pinning it!

      Delete
  3. what a great recipe to try out next girl scout season! this looks so good that i wish i could grab it out from the screen :)

    ReplyDelete